Passage

May you be blessed in the city, and blessed in the country! (Deuteronomy 28:3)

Friday, November 30, 2012

The “Frugirl’s” Guide to Christmas Decorating

” ”I’m participating in the Spend-Less Holidays: Saving While Savoring the Season Blog Carnival, hosted by The Frugal Fil-Am and Dainty Mom. We’ll be sharing our tips on how to spend less this holiday season, so that we can have a more meaningful Christmas. Please scroll down to the end of the post to see the list of carnival entries.”

I love Christmas! It’s my favorite season of the year! That’s because it’s the time to celebrate the birthday of Jesus, the reason for the season! And being an avid home decorator, I so enjoy sprucing up my home during the holidays. Honestly, some years ago I actually considered not decorating our home at Christmas, that being a low point in my life. But as I prayed and reflected, I realized that all the more I needed to decorate — as a way to honor and celebrate the Birthday Celebrant! So I did, and it made a difference (for me, at least!).

I’m the frugal type, so as much as I don’t have to spend for something, I won’t. (I even call myself, “Frugirl.”) And that goes for Christmas decorations! So here are some points that have helped me make the most of Christmas decorating without having to spend a whole lot (really!):

1. Find an inexpensive Nativity Scene. This was my top priority as I was about to decorate my own home. Being a Catholic, I believe that Christmas ought to center on Jesus. So I found this beautiful, yet very affordable Nativity Scene at a local bookstore some years ago.


2. Simply receive. If people give you Christmas decorations as gifts, simply receive! Then find out how they can fit in your Christmas décor.
Got these pillows (or pillow cases) from three different people
 
Got this candle holder from my uncle last Christmas

3. Simply ask. “Mom, do you have any Christmas décor that you don’t need? I’m open to donations,” so said I a few weeks ago. My mom has a whole lot of Christmas décor stored up in her attic, many of which are not being used anymore. So I just ask. And she gives. (Many times, though, I don’t ask; she simply gives. In this case, see #2.)
All these trinkets from my mom!
Still from my mom (told you she had lots of stuff! Which is why I ask!)
4. Go natural. Last year, we moved into a bigger home. But we didn’t have a Christmas tree. So my husband and I went window-shopping, only to realize that Christmas trees are expensive! Not to worry — I had a back-up plan. A few months before the Christmas season, I was able to retrieve some bamboo branches that were about to fall on our backyard. And these I used to make “your-not-so-usual” Christmas tree.

Since we already have a Christmas tree this year,
this is what I did with our branches from last year
5. Repurpose. Keep an eye out for stuff you can use in new ways, such as used cans and bottles.






6. Find inspiration for new things. Look no further than the Internet for new ideas on how to decorate.

Found this idea online...

7. Make your own Christmas décor. I’m not very good at making stuff, but since our Christmas tree didn’t have a star on top, and I could hardly find any Christmas tree stars being sold in the shops, I decided to make one. Our Christmas tree had to have a star, as it symbolizes the star of Bethlehem that pointed to the Baby Jesus.


8. Research on how what you have can work. While thinking about how to decorate our home this year, I remembered that my father-in-law brought this certain red carpet to our home which wasn’t being used anymore and was just rolled up in one room. (When he brings stuff to our home, it usually means we can already use them.) When I had our helper unroll it, I realized we could use it during this season, especially with its color. My challenge was how to make it work with our sofas, a thin and not-so-tall Christmas tree (also given by my in-laws), and a second-hand white ottoman given to us by friends. So I surfed the Internet for some ideas, and here’s how our living room turned out:

So there you go. I’d say about 90% of the Christmas décor in our house is given. Which is why when I look at all these, I don’t just see things; I see stories. And people. Individuals even. My heart wells up in gratitude to the Lord for using them to add beauty and warmth to our home. And at the same time, I say a prayer of blessing for them.

Enjoy your decorations, and may your homes reflect the Christmas spirit!

“I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord.” (Luke 2:10-11)

What are your tips on Christmas decorating on a budget? Feel free to post your comments! J

Please do check out the other participants of the Spend-Less Christmas Carnival participants! God bless you!


16 comments:

  1. I love your decor ideas! It just proves that we don't have to spend buckets to have nice decors. And what's most important are the memories that are shared :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissy! Thanks so much! Yes, you are right! It just takes a little creativity...actually, I get so much help from online ideas...and the mindset of "work with what you have, not with what you don't have." And yes, cherished memories are the real treasures! Thanks for your comment and God bless you! :)

      Delete
  2. I love your bamboo Christmas tree! Using local materials is surely one way to save up on decors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gen! Thanks for your comment! Yes, I agree with you! Good thing we were able to retrieve those as they were just kinda falling na from our backyard!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely home you've created there Mich! Nice job on decorating it!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! God bless you!

      Delete
  4. "Which is why when I look at all these, I don’t just see things; I see stories. And people. Individuals even." Love it! And beautiful decors!!! And I love your name, Frugirl hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariel! Thanks so much for the compliments! Mutual admiration club tayong mga WAHM-ers! God bless you!

      Delete
  5. Hi! There are really a thousand and one ways to decorate our homes (and hearts) and spend Christmas without going broke. These are wonderful tips and a good reflection woven together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Racquel! Thanks so much for the comment. Yeah, a thousand and one ways talaga! And that could only come from the Creator of boundless creativity! God bless!

      Delete
  6. By the way, we have the same theme/template! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty decorations! I love the Belen. I still haven't found one to replace the one we had before, which broke. Ayoko na ng clay Belen.
    Thanks for joining the carnival, Mich!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marts! You know, that belen I just got in National Book Store, but years ago na. I dunno if they still sell those now, though. :) Thanks for organizing the carnival; looking forward to more carnivals in the future! God bless!

      Delete
  8. Hi Mich! :) You have a lovely home! *drooling* Hahaha! :) I love how you were so intentional in how you decorated it! :) Hope to meet you in person soon! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! Same here — hopefully we will meet soon! God bless you!

      Delete